Tuesday 20 September 2011

Wednesday 14 September - Skye to Harris






Woke up to a brilliant sunny, if somewhat chilly morning. Straight on the bikes and headed North having agreed to stop for breakfast at the Aros Centre just South of Portree (mainly so that Martin could play catch-up by spotting a few more birds!!).
After breakfast we found it had started raining again so on with the waterproofs and down the road.  After about half a mile I realised that I'd left my handlebar bag behind, so about-turn and back to collect it.  Martin was waiting and had been trying to phone and text me but my phone was in the bag!!!!!
 
A mixture of sunshine and showers all the way to Uig where we arrived in plenty of time for the ferry and so time to bag a few more beers at the Uig Hotel, the Ferry Inn and the Bakur Bar although one turned out to be a duplicate (well it's difficult to keep track after 91 drinks!!).
A very pleasant crossing to Harris during which I got chatting to a lady whose son was doing a similar trip to us - from the Dungeness power station to Dounreay power station - as a protest against nuclear energy production.
Tarbert at last, where Martin's wife, Briony, was waiting to meet us and relieve us of our bags.  This made our ascent of the Clisham much easier and although I had to rest once or twice I managed to cycle all the way.  The descent was marred by a very heavy shower but the remainder of the trip to Ballalan was dry.

Arriving at the Claitair (Loch Erisort Inn) there was no sign of Martin (who was way ahead of me) or Briony so I settled at the bar with a large G&T.  Briony and Martin appeared and handed me my room key so I headed off with the remains of my G&T for a long soak in the bath (my bags having been delivered to my room by Briony).  The rooms here have been refurbished to a very high standard and I can highly recommend it as a place to stay.

My last beer trophy followed by an excellent meal, wine, a dram and the usual extraction of cash from other customers followed by bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment