Tuesday 13 September 2011

Sunday 11th September - Crianlarich to Corran Ferry

We started the day with breakfast at the station cafe at Crianlarich where there were two steam engines waiting to start their journey to Mallaig.



One of the engines was called The Lancashire Fusilier (linking to my song of the day). We had persistent rain as we set off and typical of my offspring Ben rang after about ten minutes. He had been with friends at a wedding reception by Loch Lomond the previous evening and had tried to meet up, but (typical Ben) had taken the wrong turning. They had apparently debated about sleeping in the car and meeting us for breakfast, but when he rang he was back in Aberdeen!! We had a good ride up to Glen Coe via Bridge of Orchy, with heavy rain but a strong tailwind. We lunched at the Kings House Hotel just south of Glen Coe, where I clocked up another couple of ales and elicited more funds from Richard and Trish, who had a few weeks previously done LE JoG. They recommended calling in at the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe, where there is a wide range of cask ales.
Inspired by the prospect I set off with a will ahead of Martin, and the descent down Glencoe, despite the wind and rain, was the most exhilarating of the trip.



By the time Martin arrived at the Clachaig Inn I had divested myself of my soggy waterproofs and had established myself at the Bar. I clocked up a further 5 beers and extracted more money from punters, including Andy and Wendy from Yorkshire. We then set off for Corran Ferry with Martin in the lead now, and I stopped off at St Bride's Scottish Episcopal church, North Balachulish, where I spent a few minutes in prayer and contemplation. When I came out the rain had stopped, so I removed my waterproofs and then set off after Martin towards Corran Ferry. After five minutes the heavens opened and I arrived at Corran Ferry like a drowned rat. The short trip across brought us to the Inn at Ardgour, where unfortunately there was no cask ale. However they were very welcoming and we spent a pleasant evening bantering with the locals and extracting more cash.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment