Sunday 11 September 2011

Friday 9 September - Fenwick to Loch Lomond

Susan & John
After a good night's sleep and breakfast we said our goodbyes to Susan and, led by John riding the bike that he hand-built himself, set off to Loch Lomond. The rain was relentless and we arrived at the Hungry Monk at Lochwinnoch where John left us to enjoy welcome coffees, toast and bacon roll. We were rather incongruous, dripping wet, in what is probably a 5 star hotel lounge! We then set off towards the cycle path heading north and I left Martin bird spotting at the RSPB reserve at Lochwinnoch. Had a really good run with not much rain up to Johnstone, passing a bike on the way which I think I may use the next time I attempt a trip like this!



At Johnstone I rang Martin to let him know my intentions, which he misinterpreted and once again we got separated. I headed towards Houston (we have a problem), where I left the cycle track and headed for the Erskine bridge along pleasant country lanes. I waited at the top of the bridge


for Martin to catch me up, having done his sightseeing tour of the cultural highlights of Paisley!
We then headed down to the end of the Forth-Clyde canal

and then on to Dumbarton, where we stopped for lunch and for the first time I had to endure a pint of keg beer, but fortunately it was Belhaven Best. Then on the cycle path along the River Leven towards Loch Lomond. As has become a feature of this trip the signs for the cycle path disappeared at Balloch and we had to endure the traffic for the last couple of miles before arriving at the grandiose Victorian structure that is Loch Lomond Youth Hostel.



After a shower and change we set off to walk back to Balloch but on asking directions were kindly offered a lift and directed to a real ale pub. I was able to tot up another three ales and we had an excellent meal with Martin becoming very "mellow" having consumed a bottle plus a glass of red wine. A taxi back to the hostel and so to bed,



but I realised that Martin hadn't made his bed up and not wanting to disturb the other residents I selflessly dragged his bedding into the corridor to put on his duvet cover when he staggered round the corner admitting that he had fallen asleep in front of the computer.

From now on I will not be posting any photographs as I am having to save the battery pack on my camera, but will add these when I get home.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment