Sunday 21 August 2011

MEAN MACHINE!


Well, 6 days to go and still a pile of things to organise. The bike has changed beyond recognition, with the addition of gel saddle (!), SPD pedals, trekking bars and many other things I'd never heard of before we started planning this trip. Oh, and most importantly, the iPhone bike mount. The family think this is an unnecessary expense, but consider the benefits: it's waterproof, so the iPhone can stay on the handlebars throughout (not that it's likely to rain of course...). That means I can check the route on the OS map, log our ride for the day, find our location via GPS, take phone calls, listen to music, log my bird sightings, post to the blog, etc. All without rooting around in bags & pockets. Plus it's rotatable so I get a landscape view! Quite reasonable at £39.99 in my opinion!

Just one essential item missing. The eagle eyed will spot the lack of a rack (can't find one locally that fits the bike!), so I have nothing to hang my panniers from! This is quite a serious omission, which will necessitate another visit to the bike shop tomorrow. They are doing well out of me recently.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin
    Don't know if you remember me my names phil copeland and i am a freind of Tims from all those years ago when you lived in Brentwood.
    Looks like you've got one hell of a challenge ahead of you, so seeing as you are coming though Brentwood i wondered if you would like an extra rider on that leg of your journey.
    If you do let me know what time you expect to get over the bridge and i can meet you at Thurrock.
    Good luck
    phil
    prcopeland@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil

    I remember the name but it's a long time ago, so forgive me if I don't recognise you - I guess you'll be the one with the bike! We would be glad of the company as we wend our way through Essex. I'll email you later with our expected time - not sure how long it takes to get across. Looking forward to meeting you on Monday.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete